The Book of Mormon tells of a civilization of people that was destroyed called the Nephites. It would obviously be wise to study and find out what caused their downfall. Then you can apply those circumstances directly to America today. The destruction of the Nephites came down to one reason – the Nephites did not keep the commandments of God that were a requirement to stay on the land.
“For behold, this is a land which is choice above all other lands; wherefore he that doth possess it shall serve God or shall be swept off; for it is the everlasting decree of God. And it is not until the fulness of iniquity among the children of the land, that they are swept off. And this cometh unto you, O ye Gentiles, that ye may know the decrees of God—that ye may repent, and not continue in your iniquities until the fulness come, that ye may not bring down the fulness of the wrath of God upon you as the inhabitants of the land have hitherto done.” – Ether 2:10,11
What then were the people guilty of? You might be comfortable right now believing that you could not possibly be guilty of what they had been caught up in. Turn to Mormon chapter eight, where Moroni states that he was the last of his people to remain alive. He then is permitted to write about their downfall as he closes out the record of the Book of Mormon. He directs his words in chapter eight directly to us in our day! The Book of Mormon was written for us in our day then to warn us.
Just to be sure that we knew he was talking to us, Moroni goes on to describe the circumstances in America when the book would come forth. These are the evidences he presents to the reader to prove he saw our day:
- “it shall come in a day when it shall be said that miracles are done away”
- “it shall come in a day when the blood of saints shall cry unto the Lord, because of secret combinations and the works of darkness”
- “it shall come in a day when the power of God shall be denied, and churches become defiled and be lifted up in the pride of their hearts; yea, even in a day when leaders of churches and teachers shall rise in the pride of their hearts, even to the envying of them who belong to their churches”
- “it shall come in a day when there shall be heard of fires, and tempests, and vapors of smoke in foreign lands; And there shall also be heard of wars, rumors of wars, and earthquakes in divers places”
- “it shall come in a day when there shall be great pollutions upon the face of the earth”
- “murders, and robbing, and lying, and deceivings, and whoredoms, and all manner of abominations”
- “it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins”
Is there any question as to his accuracy? Now that Moroni has gotten our attention, he proceeds to address us directly and tell us some of the things we need to repent of:
“Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing. And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts…For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted. O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world? Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not? Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads? Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.” – Mormon 8: 35-41
Take a course today to free yourself from the vices of evil that America is caught up in. Take the advice of a modern apostle:
“Moroni announced that he will face us on Judgment Day in defense of his words (see Moro. 10:27). This he will do, together with his book, for out of the books we shall be judged, and the Book of Mormon is one of those books. We now have it in our hands. It is published to the world. It carries God’s message to all. It gives full and fair warning to this generation, and the warning is true! Read it! Believe it! Pray over it! Obey its counsels! It can lead us unerringly to Christ! The last words of Moroni! Dare we forget them?” – Mark E. Petersen